Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lomi Lomi Salmon Tacos


Tonight is taco night in the household of the Frustrated Fil-Am Chef.  My children made a request for tacos, but one problem...I am not a big fan of supermarket tacos.  I made standard Old El-Paso tacos for my children, but my wife and I wanted something different.

For the past couple of days, I have been wanting to make lomi lomi salmon, a Hawaiian version of ceviche. Lomi Lomi means to massage with hands.  Fresh salmon is salted overnight and mixed with tomatoes and onions and as the name implies mixed with the hands.  The mixture of salt, onion, and tomatoes cooks the salmon through oxidation rather than using heat.

I then came up with the crazy idea of combining Hawaiian lomi lomi salmon with tacos. Afterall, pico de gallo contains essentially the same ingredients found in lomi lomi salmon, minus the salmon.  Fish tacos is also a standard in American tex-mex cuisine...so why not combine the two?

I have modified the lomi lomi salmon recipe to include fresh lime juice, chopped chilies, and corriander to simulate the pico de gallo taste.  Instead of using stale store bought taco shells, I fried soft flour tortillas to make crunchy taco shells, which I found to be much better and tastier.  To top it off I made home made guacamole.  The combination of the salty and sour lomi lomi salmon, creamy guacamole, and crunchy shell made this a match made in heaven.  It will definitely be on our menu again in the near future.

Ingredients

Lomi Lomi Salmon:
400g salmon loin
4 tomatoes chopped
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 lime juiced
Chopped corriander
Salt

Guacamole:
2 Avocados
1/2 onion
1/2 tomato
1 bunch corriander
1/2 lime juiced
Sea salt (to taste)

Flour torilla
Oil


  1. Salt the salmon loin thoroughly and let stand from 1 hour to 1 day.
  2. Cut salmon in small chunks and place in bowl.
  3. Combine salmon with chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, lime juice, chopped corriander, and chilies.
  4. Mix thoroughly with hands and allow for ingrediant to settle.
  5. With a fork, make several punctures all over the tortillas.
  6. Heat pan with enough oil to fry tortillas. Fold tortilla and fry one side of torilla in oil and using a tong to hold the other side of the tortilla to maintain shape.  Once golden brown, flip tortilla and repeat.  Set aside and allow to cool.
  7. In a food processor, add avocados, onion, tomato lime juice, corriander, lime juice, and sea salt.  Blend for several second, just enough to break down the ingredients.  Make sure not to blend to long as guacamole should be chunky.
  8. Assemble tacos by adding lomi lomi salmon and topped off with guacamle sauce.  Garnish with chopped chilies and garnish with fresh greens.
---The Frustrated Fil-Am Chef


4 comments:

  1. thanks for the idea and the recipe! i wanna try this one day... when I do, i'll let you know hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Joan! I am glad that you found some inspiration in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been gone for too long! My first time ever reading a recipe for a 'bunch coriander'. I automatically thought of the spice (coriander seed) and not what we know over here as cilantro/Chinese parsley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I have been living in Norway for 10 years now :) but yes cilantro Wil ;)

      Delete